- Remove the pastry from the freezer.
- Allow to thaw.
Roast Butternut Beet & Goats Cheese Tart
Crisp filo pastry encasing warm earthy butternut & beetroot, topped with creamy goats cheese.
How it's doneDirections
Set the oven to 190C 375F or gas mark 5
- Peel and chop the beetroot into cube.
- Peel and chop the butternut squash into cube.
- Lightly coat the baking tray with oil using a pastry brush.
- Add the butternut squash and beetroot cubes to the baking tray coat in oil.
- Place in the oven cook for 15 mins to 20 mins.
- Heat the olive oil in the frying pan.
- Peel and chop the shallots in half and then in eights lengthwise
- Add the shallots to the pan cook the onions till soft
- Wash mixed leaves and place in a serving bowl.
- Place a cross on the top of the cucumber then slice the cucumber to form quarters sprinkle over the salad leaves
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and then slice in half sprinkle over the salad leaves
- Wash and chop the yellow pepper(s) into small pieces sprinkle over the salad leaves
- Chop the mint and coriander
- Make a herb vinaigrette by adding 2 tbsp olive oil and the 4 tsp white wine vinegar into a small bowl.
- Add half the herbs and freshly ground salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. Mix thoroughly
- Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave, or in a small pan
- place the three sheets of filo on some cling film, cut into thirds or halves (depending on the size of your pie dish).
- Cover with cling film to stop it drying out while you create the tart
- Coat the pie dish with butter using the pastry brush
- Coating each layer of pastry with melted butter using the pastry brush
- Place the next sheet on top of the pastry.
- Repeat for all sheets of pastry.
- Build up the tart case by adding layers of filo pastry approx 5
- Crumple any extra pastry that is going over the sides onto the edge to form a crust
- Remove the beetroot and butternut squash from the oven
- Place in the large bowl
- Add the shallots
- Stir to mix the ingredients
- Put into the prepared filo pastry pie case
- Slice the goats cheese log(s) into 2 cm width slices.
- The crème fraiche should be placed on the tart in dollops with a slice of goats cheese on top each dollop and approx. 3 cms apart
- Place a couple of leaves of rosemary on top of the goats cheese
- Place the tart in the oven and cook for 20 mins
- Serve a slice of the tart with the mixed salad and a trickle of the herb vinaigrette
What you needIngredients
- chopping board
- large knife
- pie dish
- Baking tray
- small bowl
- pastry brush
- frying pan
- medium bowl
- 3 sheets filo pastry
- 20 grams butter
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 300 grams beetroot
- 2 shallots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 goats cheese log
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 150 ml crème fraiche
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 100 grams cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cucumber
- 40 grams Salad leaves
- 1/2 bell pepper (yellow)
- 1 handful mint
- 1 handful coriander
- 4 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Yummy ideasLatest Recipes
Red pepper and Manchego Tortilla Category: Around the World, Flexitarian, Healthy, Low Cost, Main, Quick and Easy, Traditional
Lamb and Ale Stew with bubble and Squeak Patties Category: Freezer Friendly, Main, Meat Feast, Traditional, uk
Garlic Steak Fajitas with a Lettuce and Avocado Salad Category: Around the World, Main, Meat Feast, Modern, Quick and Easy