- Boil half the amount of water.
- Take half the stock cubes and add to the boiling water and stir
stir and leave to cool.
- In a bowl put the pearl barley into the cooled stock and leave overnight.
Pearl Barley Stuffed Peppers
Roasted red peppers stuffed with creamy mushroom pearl barley risotto, flavoured with white wine and thyme, the dish is finished with a mascarpone and parmesan topping.
How it's doneDirections
- Peel and chop the onion(s) finely.
- Place half the chopped onions in a pan with butter and oil cook the onions till soft.
- Drain and wash the pearl barley.
- Take the remaining stock cube and add to the remaining boiled water and stir.
- Add the barley to the onions with the white wine.
- Cook till wine has evaporated.
- Add the stock to the barley simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook the barley until it is soft but with a slight bite to it.
- Add additional water if the barley is to dry.
While the barley is cooking.
- Set the oven to 180C 350F or gas mark 4.
- Heat the olive oil in the frying pan, add the remaining onions to the frying pan.
- Cook the onions till soft
- Peel and crush the garlic using the garlic crusher or chop finely.
- Add the garlic to the frying pan.
- Wash and slice the mushrooms add the mushrooms to the frying pan.
- Cook the mushrooms until coloured.
- Finely grate the parmesan.
- Wash and remove the thyme leaves from their stalks.
- Add the thyme to the mushroom mixture cook for a minute or two.
- Remove from the heat
- When the barley is cooked.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the barley.
- Stir through 1 tbsp of mascarpone and half the grated parmesan.
- Cook for a minute or two taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Cut the top of the peppers and remove the seeds’
- Stuff the peppers with the barley and mushroom mixture.
- Spread half a tbsp of mascarpone onto each pepper.
- Add the remaining grated parmesan and place on top of the mascarpone.
- Lightly coat the baking tray with oil using a pastry brush.
- Place the peppers and lids on the tray.
- Place in the oven cook for 15 mins to 20 mins.
- Wash mixed leaves and place in a serving bowl.
- Place a cross on the top of the cucumber, then slice the cucumber to form quarters sprinkle over the salad leaves.
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and then slice in half sprinkle over the salad leaves.
- Wash and chop the yellow pepper(s) into small pieces
sprinkle over the salad leaves.
- Make the tomato dressing by mixing together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic (crushed) tomato puree, pesto, sugar, water.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add a little extra sugar if it is to tart.
Remove the peppers from the oven serve with salad add the tomato dressing
What you needIngredients
- medium bowl
- medium pan
- chopping board
- large knife
- frying pan
- baking tray
- Garlic crusher
- small bowl
- 10 grams butter
- 80 grams pearl barley
- 2 bell pepper (red)
- 150 grams mushrooms
- 1 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 stock cube veg
- 50 ml white wine
- 1 litre water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp mascarpone cheese
- 10 grams parmesan
- 100 grams cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cucumber
- 40 grams Salad leaves
- 1/2 bell pepper (yellow)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp pesto
- 4 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp sugar granulated
- Salt to taste
- black pepper to taste