- Sieve together the flours and salt.
- Cut the butter into cubes.
Apple and Vanilla Custard Tart
A shortcrust pastry tart, filled with creamy vanilla custard and topped with sliced apples and an apricot jam glaze
How it's doneDirections
Mix together the egg yolks water and vanilla essence
- Mix the flour and butter, blend until the contents form a crumb, by hand or using a food processor.
- Empty the contents of the food processor into a large bowl
- Add the egg mixture and mix using a few swift movements.
- Form a ball and flatten, place in the fridge to cool.
- Set the oven to 200C 400F or gas mark 3
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle to fit the flan dishes. Fit pastry into the flan dish .
- Trim the pastry to fit the flan dish.
- Place in the fridge to cool for 15 minutes.
- Bake blind by adding parchment and baking beans into the tart dish.
- Bake for 20 mins then remove from the oven.
- Remove the beans and paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 mins or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples, thinly slice the apple.
- Melt the honey in the frying pan. Add the butter.
- Add the apples cook till soft but maintaining the shape set a side to cool
- Heat the milk and cream in a pan till just below boiling point.
- Pour the cream into the eggs whisking all the time.
- When combined place in a clean pan and return to the heat
- Whisk until the custard thickens remove from the heat as it thickens and continue to whisk .
- Add the vanilla essence place in a bowl set a side to cool.
- Place some clingfilm directly on the custard to stop it forming a skin.
- Set the oven to 190C 375F or gas mark 5.
- When cool add the custard to the tart
- Place the sliced apples neatly on the tart.
- Melt the jam coat the top of the pudding with jam.
- Dust with icing sugar place in the oven cook for 8 minutes caramelise the top
Cut a slice and serve with pouring cream
What you needIngredients
- 1 Food Processor
- 2 Medium Bowl
- 1 Chopping Board
- 1 Large Knife
- Flan dish
- 1 Rolling Pin
- medium pan
- 135 grams Butter
- 175 grams Plain Flour
- 25 grams self raising flour
- 25 grams corn flour
- 50 grams Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp water
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 1/2 kg dessert apples
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 10 grams icing sugar
Yummy ideasLatest Recipes
Red pepper and Manchego Tortilla Category: Around the World, Flexitarian, Healthy, Low Cost, Main, Quick and Easy, Traditional
Lamb and Ale Stew with bubble and Squeak Patties Category: Freezer Friendly, Main, Meat Feast, Traditional, uk
Garlic Steak Fajitas with a Lettuce and Avocado Salad Category: Around the World, Main, Meat Feast, Modern, Quick and Easy