- Make a marinade by mixing the turmeric, curry powder and garam masala with water.
- Place the chicken in the marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours preferably overnight
- Take the chicken out of the fridge
Burmese Chicken & Potato Curry served with Brown Rice
Lightly spiced chicken with tomatoes, chickpeas, potatoes and green beans, served in a garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper, honey and lime sauce, sprinkled with diced shallots and coriander served on a bed of brown rice.
How it's doneDirections
Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes, half fill a medium pan with water and boil add the potatoes cook till soft
- Heat the olive oil in the frying pan.
- Add the chicken and fry from 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown set a side.
- Add the stock cube to boiling water
- Peel and chop the onion(s) finely.
- Peel and crush the garlic using the garlic crusher or chop finely .
- Peel and grate the ginger.
- Add the curry paste ingredients to the food processor
blend until smooth
- Heat the frying pan.
- Empty the contents of the food processor into a frying pan.
- Stir to ensure the paste doesn’t burn.
- Cook till it browns and thickens
- Chop tomatoes and remove any hard central parts of the tomatoes add to the pan cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the honey and remove from the heat
- Remove the outer toughened leaves from the lemon grass and finely chop the inner leaves add to the pan.
- Return to the heat and gently warm through cook for 3 to 4 mins stir occasionally
- Drain the potatoes add to the pan.
- Drain the chickpeas and wash add to the pan.
- Trim the green beans add to the pan.
- Cook for 3 to 4 mins
Add the stock, add the chicken to the sauce cook for 10 mins
- Wash and finely chop the fresh coriander.
- Peel and finely chop the shallot(s).
- Juice the lime add to the pan.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary
- Warm the precooked rice by following the instructions.
- Place the rice in individual serving dishes.
- Place the curry on top of the rice.
- Sprinkle the coriander and onions over the curry serve immediately.
What you needIngredients
- rectangular pie dish
- chopping board
- large knife
- fish slice
- frying pan
- lemon squeezer
- food processor
- medium pan
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- chicken thighs (boned and skinned)
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tp paprika
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- salt to taste
- blqck pepper to taste
- 2 shallots
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 stock cube chicken
- 250 ml water
- 1/2 stick lemon grass
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 potatoes
- 1 tin chickpeas small
- 75 grams green beans
- 1/2 lime
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- 1 packet brown rice