place the lamb in the bowl, season with salt and pepper
Lamb and Ale Stew with Bubble and Squeak Patties
A rich lamb stew packed full of delicious veggies including mushrooms, carrots and parsnips. The stew is served with bubble and squeak patties made with potato, cabbage, bacon and onions.
How it's doneDirections
Wash and finely chop the fresh rosemary, add to the bowl, with the flour mix the ingredients
Peel and slice the carrots, peel and slice the parsnips
Peel and finely slice the onion(s) wash and slice the mushrooms
Add the stock cube to boiling water
- Heat the olive oil in the frying pan, cook the lamb in batches
- Cook till golden brown add to a casserole dish
Add the onions to the frying pan cook till soft
- Peel and crush the garlic using the garlic crusher or chop finely add to the frying pan
- Add the mushrooms to the frying pan cook till golden brown
- Add the parsnips and carrots cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the marmite, pearl barley, ale and stock to the frying pan
Set the oven to 165C 365F or gas mark 3 return the meat to the pan cook for 10 mins
- Add the contents of the frying pan to the casserole dish.
- Wash and finely chop the fresh parsley add to the casserole dish.
- Place the stew in the oven cook for 2 and half hours or until the meat falls apart
- Half fill a large pan with water and boil
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes.
- Add the potatoes to the pan cook for 10 mins to 15 mins, cook till soft
- Remove the potatoes from the water and place in a dish mash roughly with a fork.
- Wash and chop the cabbage into fine strips, add the cabbage to the water in the pan cook for 3 to 4 mins.
- Drain and add to the bowl
- Chop the bacon into pieces, heat the frying pan.
- Add the bacon to the pan cook till golden brown.
- Drain and set a side
- Peel and finely slice the onion(s) add the onions to the frying pan.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic add to the frying pan
- Wash and finely chop the fresh parsley
- Add the bacon onions parsley and garlic to the potatoes.
Make the patties,
- Take a large spoonful of the mixture and with damp hands shape the mixture into a pattie.
- Place the flour on a plate, coat in flour set a side to rest
10 minutes before the stew is ready
- Heat the frying pan heat about 21/2 inches of frying oil in a pan.
- Drop a breadcrumb into the oil to check its hot enough it should fizzle.
- Add the patties to the pan, cook in batches and keep warm in the oven.
- Cook till golden brown
- Turn the potato patties over cook till golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Remove the stew from the oven
- Serve the stew with the potato patties serve immediately
What you needIngredients
- chopping board
- 2 medium bowls
- large knife
- 2 frying pans
- fish slice
- casserole dish
- 2 plates
- medium pan
- 400 grams diced lamb
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 red onions
- 300 grams chestnut mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsnips
- 1 tbsp pearl barley
- 600 ml ale
- 250 ml boiling water
- 1/4 beed stock cube
- 1 tsp yeast extract
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Bubble and Squeak
- 400 grams potatoes
- 125 grams green cabbage
- 2 rashers smoked bacon
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- sunflower oil to fry
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste